Don't Flush Your Meds

Microsite Banner

Don’t Flush Your Meds Microsite Banner

Proper disposal of your unused meds is easy!

Find out where you can take your unused medications for safe disposal


To prevent misuse and keep medications from entering our waterways, please dispose of unused prescription and over-the-counter medications responsibly. Flushing unused or expired medications down the sink or toilet can pollute the environment.

Learn more here about the disposal options available to you!

General Information

Check Household Hazardous Waste Facilities

Several local HHW facilities also accept unused meds:

Sacramento County
North Area Recovery Station
(916) 875-5555
Controlled substances: see Federal Recommendations

City of Folsom
HazMat Division
(916) 461-6730 – Free pickup available
Controlled substances: Folsom Police Department

City of Elk Grove
Special Waste Collection Center 
(916) 478-2228 – Free disposal for Elk Grove residents
Controlled substances: Elk Grove Police Department

City of Sacramento
The City of Sacramento does not accept pharmaceuticals as a part of their Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Program. However, as a resident of Sacramento County, you are eligible to dispose of your pharmaceuticals and other HHW at a County Facility. To review the list of acceptable materials at the City of Sacramento facility, visit the City of Sacramento’s HHW Program website.

City of Citrus Heights
City of Citrus Heights residents can take their unused or expired medications to the North Area Recovery Station — Household Hazardous Waste Drop-Off Center.  

Yolo County
Yolo County Landfill
Free pickup available for seniors and disabled:
– West Sacramento: (916) 617-4590
– Yolo County: (530) 666-8856
Controlled substances: Local police station

Log in