Regional San has partnered with the Sacramento Area Sustainable Business Program to develop a certification program for qualified dentists in our service area who voluntarily take action to prevent pollution. Regional San’s service area includes unincorporated Sacramento County; the cities of Citrus Heights, Elk Grove, Folsom, Rancho Cordova, Sacramento, and West Sacramento; and the communities of Courtland and Walnut Grove. This program was developed to build awareness about mercury-containing waste that can harm our waterways.
Qualified dentists and dental offices can become certified as a Sacramento Area Sustainable Business in the category of Pollution Prevention for FREE by completing three easy steps:
- Implement: Complete the five certification requirements outlined in the Application for Certification below.
- Apply: Fill out the application below and submit proof of an amalgam separator.
- Get Certified: Receive a window placard and certificate to show patients and employees your commitment to environmental stewardship.
What Are the Benefits?
- Show patients and employees your commitment to environmental stewardship
- Become instrumental in reducing mercury-containing wastes from reaching our waterways
- Receive free advertising and promotion on the Sacramento Area Sustainable Business’s searchable database
Do I Qualify?
Qualification to be certified in the Pollution Prevention category depends on the type of work your dental office performs and your ability to meet the five certification requirements, including installation of a 2008 ISO 11143-certified amalgam separator. If installing the amalgam separator after October 22, 2014, verify with the vendor that the amalgam separator is 2008 ISO 11143-certified with a removal efficiency of no less than 99.0%. Under the proposed EPA regulations, an amalgam separator installed after October 22, 2014, that is not 2008 ISO 11143-certified with a removal efficiency of no less than 99.0% would not satisfy the requirements and would need to be replaced with one that does, should the rule become final. (The list of qualifying and non-qualifying practices below was developed based on how often each type of dentistry places or removes fillings containing amalgam.)
- General Dentistry
- Pediatric Dentistry
- Public Health Clinics
- Dental Labs
- Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Radiology Offices
Not sure if you qualify? Call us at (916) 876-4141.
(If you don’t qualify for this certification, or if you would like to become certified in other areas of the Sacramento Sustainable Business Awards Program, please visit the program website to learn more. Other benefits may be available to you.)
Accepted Amalgam Separators
Application for Certification
Please fill out the information below based on the location and details of your dental practice. An asterisk (*) indicates the field is required.