What businesses need a wastewater discharge permit?
Businesses that meet any of the following criteria may need to obtain a wastewater discharge permit:
- Discharges 25,000 gallons or more of process wastewater per day (excluding domestic, non-contact cooling, and boiler blowdown wastewater)
- Contributes a process wastestream that makes up 5% or more of the average dry weather hydraulic or organic capacity of the SRWTP
- Discharges non-domestic wastewater that has a reasonable potential for adversely affecting the Regional San sewer system or for violating any Pretreatment Standard or Requirement
- Is classified as a “categorical user” in accordance with the listing established by the EPA (40 CFR Chapter 1, Subchapter N, Parts 405-471)
- Discharges more than 37.5 pounds of biochemical oxygen demand (BOD), 37.5 pounds of total suspended solids (TSS), or 8.3 pounds of total kjeldahl nitrogen (TKN) per day
- Performs solvent dry cleaning, mobile pressure washing or liquid waste hauling
- Discharges wastewater resulting from groundwater remediation projects
- Discharges, either temporarily or long-term, non-domestic that could potentially cause a hazard as determined by Regional San
All questions regarding the need for a permit should be directed to (916) 875-6470 or email@example.com.