Recycled Water at-a-Glance
Why it makes sense:
- Increased use of water recycling reduces the region’s dependence on groundwater and surface water supplies for non-potable water uses.
- Water recycling provides an environmentally responsible and safe water supply for environmental restoration projects, such as wetlands.
- Water recycling can also help with Clean Water Act compliance and meeting future discharge regulations.
Why it’s safe:
- Recycled water is delivered through purple pipes that are completely separate from the potable (drinking) water p ipes.
- Routine inspections are conducted to ensure no cross connection between potable water pipes and recycled water pipes has occurred.
- The water recycling facility and distribution system are monitored continuously.
- Regional San’s recycled water facility is designed to provide the highest possible degree of treatment under varying circumstances.